School Policies and Procedures
Our doors open to students at 8:00 a.m. unless the student is expected for a supervised meeting (student council, teacher request, etc.). 6th graders report to the gym if they arrive between 8:00 and 8:20, 7th graders report to the cafeteria, and 8th graders to the auditorium. Advisory and Success Time begin at 8:30. Students are expected to be in their seats and ready to learn at this time.
School is dismissed at 3:25 p.m. All students should be out of the building and off school property by 3:40 p.m. Students are expected to leave the grounds immediately following dismissal unless required to remain for some activity or detention.
Students who ride bicycles to school should observe the following rules:
- Place bicycle in the fenced-in area east of the building or the bike rack located at the west end of the building.
- All bikes should be locked to the rack.
Each Weeks Middle School student uses a personal identification number. Breakfast and lunch are provided at no cost to all Weeks students.
The Des Moines Public Schools prohibits discrimination in educational programs and activities due to sex, race, national origin, creed, marital status or disability. A complaint procedure has been developed to handle these complaints. Employees, parents or guardians, students, and volunteers can file a complaint.
Briefly, the complaint procedure includes four steps.
- Talk to the principal about your complaint and try to solve the problem.
- If not satisfied, a complaint form must be filed within 15 working days and filed with the principal. A written response will be made within 10 working day by the principal. Individuals can get a complaint form from Mary Lynne Jones, District Complaint Officer, by calling (515)242-7781.
- If not satisfied, the complaint can be made with the Executive Director of Elementary of Secondary Education within five working days after receiving the response from the principal. The Director will respond within 10 working days.
- If not satisfied, the complaint can be made with the Superintendent within five working days. A response will be made within 10 working days.